Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Easy Matching Storage Boxes with Book Pages

For the shelf above my desk I've been using a whole row of black wire baskets, which look good when they're empty but when they are full to overflowing they just look messy and unkempt. I didn't want to buy/waste money on new matching desk boxes. Hmmmm. The little cubby shelf I restyled with book pages and wrapping paper came out like this...


I love the way it looks now! Stylish and vintage at the same time! So I decided to make matching storage boxes for my shelf and here's how their new look...


I like how the Mod Podge medium actually darkens the edges of the pages, giving them a golden hue. And notice the red edge to the pages? Gotta love that. Here's what I did....



I picked out some good sturdy boxes in various sizes, including a round box that looked like an old ice cream carton. First I glued the pages on then finished with a layer of Mod Podge and matte spray sealer. Easy peasy and CHEAP too.

There is no set plan to this project, altho when my daughter, Insanely Creative Christy, decoupages with book pages she uses smaller, neater, well trimmed pieces applied in nice designs. Me? Not so much, lol!


I used a silver pencil to give the label frames a pewter looking finish then used chalkboard paint on the labels so I could change them up.



I'm still thinking about adding gold or copper brads to the labels to give them a vintage hardware look. But I like the way these boxes turned out and the cost was mere pennies.



Here they are on the shelf above my desk, and you can see how well they go with the little book page cubby shelf and even my burlap ruffled bulletin boards. So for a bit of effort and creativity but not alot of money, I'm getting a desk/office makeover that is making me very happy.

And if I'm happy at my desk I'll blog more, take more photos and be more creative, right? That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I took this idea one step further and totally redid my craft room with book pages and assorted boxes. Let's hear a cheer for cheap, easy, stylish and pretty craft storage!



And THIS room makes me very happy! Win win!

2 comments:

  1. What a great cost saving and attractive idea! Wow, love your to die for creating room!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I was planning to do this with kitchen cabinets. And I envy you on this craft room. Itş tempting and well organized.. And the whole idea of having space for such room - mmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...